Sunday, March 27, 2011
Hair Loss During Pregnancy
Has anyone else experienced this? My hair has been falling out since about wk14, in clumps, i am cleaning out my hairbrush twice a week. I asked the midwife about it and she shrugged it off, it is a major cause of my anxiety at the moment. I thought hair was meant to grow thick and lush when you are pregnant and fall out after you had the baby, at least that is what it did with Munchkin. My GP is away for 2 weeks so i might have to see someone else. I just hope its not a symptom of something that might hurt cookie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Sorry no experience, but I do wonder if it is connected to when u were on the progesterone? It dies happen after pregnancy, but did she know all the meds you had been on ? 1800882436 is the aussie preggy helpline, just an idea, or you can google pregnancy helpline on au google, takes you to the page. Take Care :)
ReplyDeleteTotally normal ... I lost hair, too! Try not to worry about it too much.
ReplyDeleteI had a similar thing happen during my pregnancy with our toddler... and it fell out even more after she was born !! Didn't leave much hair ! Probably worth getting checked out though for peace of mind xoxo
ReplyDeleteHi. I'm here from LFCA. I'm so sorry to hear you're dealing with hairloss and the worry it is causing you on top of that. I know the changes of pregnancy do a lot of hormonal things to our body that aren't harmful and my guess is it's probably just one of those weird things, but I do know hair loss can be a symptom of thyroid problems that are generally treatable and can be a risk to pregnancy health if not treated. Have you had your TSH tested during pregnancy (it often is)? If not, and maybe even if so (because thyroid function fluctuates during pregnancy), it may be worth getting it done -- it's the most basic of thyroid tests, and a simple blood draw. I'll add, though, that I think that thyroid has the biggest effect (including on loss) early and that at 14 weeks or later I think your developing baby is probably fine even if your thyroid is messed up -- I think at this point it would affect only you (still, a treatable problem and worth getting checked; no one wants to lose their hair!). And all this comes with the standard caution ... I have no medical training, I'm just a thyroid patient!
ReplyDeleteI lost TONS of hair. I was reading "What to Expect When You are Expecting" and it said that if your tendancy is to lose some hair you will lose more. It said the hormones will make your bodies natural tendancies worse/better. Better being your hair will get thicker fuller. Nails will grow stronger or mine get even bendier.
ReplyDeletePez
Here from the LFCA, and I just wanted to let you know what I was taught in cosmetology school. Your hair goes through 3 phases. A growing stage, a resting stage, and a falling out stage. We were told that whatever stage you were in when you got pregnant, is the one that you will stay in throughout pregnancy. It is harmless, and just one of those crazy things that happens when you're growing a little one.
ReplyDeleteMy hair is crazy, too. I am 19w4d, and my hair is coming in so dark that I had to dye the rest to match. Crazy pregnancy hormones! LOL
Here from LFCA. Just wanted to tell you the same thing happened to my mother when she was pregnant, she lost clumps of hair. It did come back after the baby was born. I would imagine that its from some deficiency, but I don't know what causes it.
ReplyDeletehere from the lfca. i lost tons of hair while pregnant. i'm now 4 weeks postpartum, and at least for now, it's stopped. i told doctors, the birthclass midwife, etc., and no one seemed to think anything of it. my guess is that it's an annoying but harmless symptom. (i had several other symptoms that were the opposite of normal -- i was freezing cold all the time, for instance -- but a basically healthy pregnancy and a very healthy baby. hoping for the same for you.)
ReplyDeleteHere from LFCA. Like Alexicographer suggested above, I'd have your thyroid tested. It can be normal to lose lots of hair in pregnancy- I'm nearly 34 weeks along, and I never stopped shedding or developed those lush locks they promise you- but it could be a thyroid thing. If it is, it's very easy to adjust with medication. And if it is the thyroid, it could help if you're also experiencing dry skin, feeling cold or fatigued all the time, etc.
ReplyDeleteHope that's a help!
T.
you need to get your thyroid tested asap. Free T3 and Free T4 test not the combined one.
ReplyDelete