Thursday, May 19, 2011
antenatal appointments and anxiety
My antenatal appointments are going well, my blood pressure is good, my belly is growing but the thing that makes me dread them is that whenever the midwife tries to find Cookie's heartbeat with the doppler, all she or I can hear is static. after about 2 minutes my anxiety skyrockets. I normally have to endure this anxiety for another five minutes before they go and get the tiny ultrasound machine to check the heartbeat that way. its a low quality U/S machine and doesn't tell us any more info than seeing cookie wriggle and seeing the heartbeat. The midwife last time said that it could be my moisturizing cream (i only use a basic sorbelene cream) that is making the static. but this doesn't make sense as i used a moisturizing creme when pregnant with munchkin and never had this problem. Has anyone else heard of this? I am starting to worry that cookie has something wrong with her heart and that is why they can never find it on the doppler. I have a level 2 ultrasound at 34 weeks to see if my placenta has stretched away from my cervix. i will definatly be asking them to check cookies heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






All I know is that it is hard to hear the heartbeat with the Doppler when the placenta is on front of the uterus. Have they said anything about that during the u/s?
ReplyDeleteI know it's hard not to worry. Thank goodness they can check really quick with the u/s.
CCC: my placenta is at the back and really low, so it shouldn't be the cause of the static. I will be leaving my moisturiser off before my next appointment and see if the midwife was right.
ReplyDeleteThank goodness for the bedside ultrasound. Maybe they should just use that to begin with every time and save you a lot of anxiety!
ReplyDelete